life of petals
















1.
my petals, grow in the garden,
you won't see me for a while
for the autumn breeze send waves
like wild winter winds,
snapping and wrecking my delicate skin.

snowfall will freeze the mosses
and roots of the greens,
the bark of an old oak will turn crisp,
cracked by the cruel chill.

maple leaves will take the hue of  blood,
the sunset glow will disappear.

but, soon, as the snow melts
buds will peep out of  the branches
the little green leaf will peek and grow with thorns.
and there i will be -- beautiful flowers of another spring!

2.
soft as an infant’s cheek,
my petals drink dry the morning mist
as my fragrance swirl and blend with the air.

lovers walk by and sniff my breath --
from lilacs to hyacinths; calla lilies, and orchids.
posed like ballerinas, preparing to dance,
i, elegant before my applauding audience!

like skirts, my petals flutter with grace,
but like dancers who get tired
after long hours of rehearsals,
my  petals also shrivel.

so be gentle, touch me with utmost care
with your both hands, hold me close to your heart.

3.
i will restore my strength
while  resting tonight;
showers from the sky will quench my thirst.
my petals will grow; and from a single bulb;
i will show  my radiant colors!
in the garden where once you saw me.

but my fresh flesh won't last forever
so i wish we meet before death arrives;
before it cuts  the tube of my breath;
before my stems get weak;
o how i envy the angels
and the butterflies that freely fly.

so my dream, my gentle artist, do come now
take me and brush me against your nose,
gaze at me and get me to your canvass;
push the shutter and frame me and take me home,
hang me on the wall beside your bed
so i can sing a lullaby and watch you sleep.

3 comments: